Saturday, May 12, 2018

Three Songs Changed My Life


Three songs changed my life:

Aesop Rock - Daylight [Labor Days, 2001, Definitive Jux]

Binary Star - Reality Check [Masters of the Universe, 2000, Subterraneous Records]

J-Live - Satisfied? [All of the Above, 2002, Coup d'État]

An immediate emotional rush.

Beyond goosebumps.

As soon as young high school me heard each one of these compositions, I instantly recognized a pivotal shift in the paradigm of my listening experience.

My music collection at the time was cluttered with ‘great’, ‘critically acclaimed’ artists like Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Trick Daddy and Nelly. But upon discovering the linguistic skills of J-Live, Aes Rock and the combo of oneBeLo (then known as One Man Army) and Semin Silla… a new dimension of expression shone itself.

Not even RedMan (a big favorite of mine - then and now) could create anything like these songs.

(If you are not familiar with these jams – now’s a perfect time to take a break and check them out! The rest of this essay will be here after your mind is successfully blown.)

Well-versed in OutKast, Mos Def, Jurassic 5 and akin class by 2002, I was already not just knee deep into Hip-Hop. But after listening to this trio of tracks (over and over again), I took a full plunge from the high dive into the music of the underground. The scene had relatable, poetic voices creatively articulating narratives upon experimental, soulful canvases that implored you to think as much as dance.

From there, the path lead me to Blackalicious, Little Brother and The Roots before I circled back around for Rakim, De La Soul and Public Enemy to became an educated fan of the culture in full blossom.

Shout out to all the regulars in the AOL “Arts & Entertainment – Hip-Hop Music” chatroom for their landmark suggestions that reshaped my landscape. Without this awakening who knows how my tastes would have evolved! I may have given up on mainstream Hip-Hop’s drudge in favor of anything else.

Thank you, Binary Star, Aesop Rock and J-Live for being incredible and unique emcees.