Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Advantage Born


I was born into every privilege known to this nation:

-White
-Male
-English-speaking
-Straight
-Multiple-generation American
-Mentally capable
-Physically able
-Economically stable
-Educated
-No accent
-Protestant
-Skinny
-Suburban

I unknowingly took these advantages and ran with each one, unconsciously exploiting my head start at every opportunity.

No need to dash around any detour; I have a straight line to success, with built-in shortcuts.

In fact, my unspoken birthrights entitle me to a medal by default without even first qualifying.

The victory lane red carpet I stroll upon is being colored daily by those who don’t match my outward appearance and dare to question why their admission to the race is still being denied. They have not only obtained tickets at inflated prices, but have run the same road, albeit across numerous hurdles. Yet, they’re no closer to me on the homestretch.

I can dawdle to ‘find myself’ along the course while others sprint nonstop to keep pace.

Discounting self-sabotage, I am a guaranteed winner.

Break out the champagne because this apparently means I fit the homogeneous mold to make America great again. Our land of plenty needs more of me on the team to hold the baton and less of anyone different to regain its stronghold as a utopia of free expression and diverse ideas.

Wait… what?!

A monotonous group of citizens from similar backgrounds with uniform agendas? Sounds a bit counterintuitive to build a strong team if everyone possesses the exact traits.

With any luck, the odds may not always be in my favor. But we’re not to that future quite yet…

The vanilla hall of power currently strangling United States political offices near and far are finally starting to lose grip. But know the forceful few are still imposing their slanted will. They hold the deciding votes on a number of issues that don’t immediately affect their wellbeing in the slightest:

-Police brutality accountability
-Women's rights
-Equal pay for equal work
-LGTB rights
-Public education curriculum and funding
-Refugee relocation and/or protection
-Immigrant ejection
-Mental health access and qualifications
-Weapon ownership limitations
-Prescription and street drug legality

Ideally and logically because I fit the profile of privileged, I should not be allowed to have an opinion on any of these topics.

True, I personally can support human rights for all and stand in solidarity with the oppressed, but I cannot relate to any of the struggles faced by those systematically hindered by policies in place to benefit those seemingly like me.

Those who try to cast authority on such issues from a high grandstand are merely trying to manipulate and build phony trust [for the sake of financial and influential gains]. But full of empty promises to cater to a base of the genuinely compassionate voters and would-be advocates, these advantage-born individuals have no actual lane in this race. They’re already at the finish line.

But yet, here they are running.

No need to train or stretch, but they’re telling us all how to be great... again.